Oil spill response (OSR)
Oil spill is one of the most difficult and time-consuming problems, as oil contains both heavy and volatile hydrocarbons. Oil Spill Response is primarily focused on the localization of the spots to prevent further increase in the area of contamination. Elimination of consequences oil spills is carried out using special tools: oil gathering equipment, adsorbents, biological products..
Oil and oil products spill response
Oil spill response begins with their localization. Booms are generally used to discourage the spreading of oil products. There are three classes of booms:
- For the rivers and reservoirs;
- For the coastal zone;
- For use in open waters.
Based on the nature of the measures to be taken to localize oil spill self-inflating, massive inflatable, deviating and fireproof booms can be used.
After localization of the problem, it is required to begin oil spill response as soon as possible. Methods of liquidation of the disaster are quite varied, they depend on the size of the spill. The most popular are the following four methods:
- Thermal. It is the burning of oil spills. This method is appropriate to apply when the thickness of the layer of oil is over 3.3 centimeters. Here efficiency is important: burning is effective only when the oil is not mixed with water.
- Physico-chemical. This method comprises the use of dispersants and sorbents. When the film thickness is sufficient sorbent material efficiently absorb oil and keep it inside. Dispersants are only recommended in exceptional cases because they are a threat to the environment, though not as much as the oil spill.
- Mechanical. This method involves in collecting oil with the help of special machines. This method is effective if the spill had not spread much, and if there is no debris on the surface of the water.
- Biological. This method is often used once the previous two had been used. In case of sufficient water temperature and oxygen saturation bacteria rapidly consume the remains of oil. If the water temperature is low, the process of biological removal of oil spills may take up to decades.
Oil spill response by specialists of Marine Rescue Service
MRS provides a full range of services to address oil spills. Our arsenal is fully equipped for oil spill response.
We offer such services as:
- Monitoring of potentially dangerous zones;
- Rapid response to oil spills;
- Advice on elimination of consequences of oil spills;
- Elimination of consequences of operations on accidental oil spills.
Marine Rescue Service is also ready to provide training for the staff of your company, so that in case of emergency oil spill response at sea is held at the highest level and has helped to minimize the damage caused to the environment.